Join Europe’s first dedicated training programme for individuals working to break down the barriers between academia and industry
September 2021 – January 2022 (Cohort Two)
Registration for Autumn Cohort 2021 is open!
About the programme
Spanning Boundaries is a 5-month online training programme, organised in two cohorts in 2021-2022.
The second cohort is organised by UIIN, Crazy Town and other members of the Spanning Boundaries Consortium, as well as supported by the GIZ as part of the EU for Innovation initiative.
The dynamic programme combines international universal sessions (EU masterclasses, workshops, seminars and fireside chats), as well as national sessions, where you reflect your process together with participants from your own country.
COHORT ONE runs from March to June 2021 and COHORT TWO runs from September 2021 to January 2022.
How you benefit
Personal Application Project (PAP)
PAP submission and work will be compulsory as part of your participation in the programme.
* PAPs (personal application projects) are central to the Spanning Boundaries Educational Framework, and are required for all participants who wish to receive certification. In the Autumn Pilot of the programme, all participants who have opted for the Accreditation pathway or the Participation pathway will be required to complete a PAP.
For participants, the total number of hours scheduled in the Spanning Boundaries programme is about 10 hours (including presence during the PAP presentations of other participants). This does not include time required to advance projects outside of scheduled activities.
Each participant will be guided through the process of completing a PAP. Throughout the Programme, each participant will provide details about their PAP, which they will present in the final month of the Programme.
Director of Businesses Incubator and Technology Transfer Center for a University
- Licensing of at least 3 university technologies to the industry
- Creating 1 or 2 university start-ups or spin-offs using their own patented technologies
Programme commences in the week from September 13 to 17, 2021.
Pre-programme: For those new to the topic of spanning boundaries through university-business-cooperation (UBC), we offer an introduction to the basics: Why it is relevant, what it includes and what kind of possibilities it offers?
Part 1: Scanning the environment and identifying opportunities: topics for master classes, workshops and fireside chats
- Basis of UBC and UBC ecosystem,
- Entrepreneurial skills of the boundary-spanning agent,
- The partnership approach,
- How to scan your environment,
- Aligning your interests from the start
Parts 2 & 3: Initiating, Implementing and Managing UBC: topics for master classes, workshops and fireside chats
- Evaluate knowledge, opportunities & markets
- How to acquire resources for UBC
- How to initiate partnerships
- Building a vision for cooperation
Part 4: Improving and building the foundation for future success: topics for master classes, workshops and fireside chats
- Championing a UBC culture
- How to pitch your initiative
- Measuring UBC outputs, outcomes and impact
Final event: Presentation of Personal Application Projects by the participants at the final Gala Pitch Event, open to all.
Throughout the 5 month programme, we will undertake workshops for developing participants’ Personal Application Projects, run a Hackathon and offer mentoring sessions. We will finalise the programme with the Final Gala Pitch event, where the programme’s participants will be able to showcase their Personal Application Projects.
NB the full programme will be available in the upcoming weeks
Organisers and national contact points
The Spanning Boundaries program unites ten partners from higher education institutes, businesses and networks from eight countries in Europe.